Sunday 8 February 2015

Was it really 'meant to be'?

So, back at the beginning of the January, I produced a post I was proud of and I was fairly devastated when it didn't save. I've got over it now but, at the time, it did get me thinking.... maybe that post just wasn't meant to be?

When we say 'meant to be', we presumably refer to fate. As though the right thing to happen is pre-decided, and when things don't go the way we want or expect them to, it's because some greater being or pull within the universe hasn't planned it that way.

For some people, this being is a God or holy figure of some description, for others stars or angels or intergalactic pixies, I don't know. The question that has me puzzled isn't one of the validity of religion, because that's not something I feel in the right place to write about yet, but about the validity of believing that things can be meant, or not, to happen, in general.

If we are decided that what is supposed to happen always will and that everything therefore has a happy ending, we can optimistically navigate our way through life and can theoretically take every blow with a smile because, it wasn't 'meant to be'. OR: perhaps what is meant to be for some people isn't always happy, perhaps some people are 'meant' to have bad things happen to them. In which case, why?

Or perhaps we use 'meant to be' as an excuse or, more realistically, an explanation and motivation to keep our heads held high.

That's really all I had to say on that for now. Maybe people will read this, maybe that's not the outcome of this post which is 'meant to be'.

I doubt I'll stop using the phrase, but it'll accompany a whole train of thought from now on!

Let me know what you think about fate and the idea of things happening because they're 'supposed to', in the comments below!

Catriona xx

No comments:

Post a Comment