Friday 18 September 2015

Book Review: 'The Opposite of Lonliness' by Marina Keegan

THIS IS A MUST READ FOR EVERY SINGLE PERSON. I could stop there and have made the most important point, but that wouldn't be a very interesting review so here we go...
Months ago, I saw Emma Watson (as I'm sure I've mentioned before, one of my leading idols and girl-crushes haha) post on her Facebook page about how good this book was, so I took a screenshot and didn't think that much about it. Then, recently, I went into Waterstones because I wanted to treat myself, and I showed the picture to the member of staff, who found the book for me.

I hadn't read up on what it was, or what it was about at all. So starting it was a nice surprise. It turned out to be a collection of short stories and non-fiction essays, so I read it in bits over a longer period of time. I don't make a habit of reading non-fiction work that often, with the exception of the odd biography and texts for my studies, so it was a real change.

The book's introduction is written by an ex- professor of Keegan when she studied at Yale University. I don't think there's any real or convincing way for me to convey to you how emotional and thought provoking the book became from that moment forward. Keegan graduated from Yale University, and died in a car crash just 5 days later. Her teachers, friends and family worked to create the book 'The Opposite of Loneliness' which is all the more hard-hitting considering the tragedy: she was a true talent taken far far too young.

The book begins with the essay which shares the title of the collection itself, and the concept is so relatable. I have often dwelt upon that amazing feeling of being a part of something, of feeling like you belong to something, but have never known quite what to call it. 'The Opposite of Loneliness' fits perfectly.

The book continues with some short fiction stories, and then some more essays. Each piece evokes thoughts and emotions which I felt I could mostly understand, partly from my own experience and partly due to her vivid description. Each dealt with an issue associated with being a young student, or reflected upon a political idea or opinion, a source of inspiration I too appreciate.

Perhaps I was just feeling emotional while I read it, or perhaps it was the fact that, for me, unit and all these experiences lay just around the corner, but I really felt like I connected with Keegan's words: an intelligent girl in love with writing and academia, trying be the best version of her, balance a work/social life balance, afford uni, and avoid the groping arms of stress and depression. Towards the end of the book, I even found out that Keegan had, at some point in her University life, studied International Relations (my degree, for those who don't know). It's incredibly cheesy and clichรฉ, but it felt in that moment like the book was written for me- and I reckon it would feel that way to all those who read it!

Despite the sad circumstances in which it came about, 'The Opposite of Loneliness' had the opposite effect on me, it made me feel less lonely, it inspired me to keep writing as much as possible and use my ideas, to work hard and to live life to the absolute fullest because so often its just not long enough, to strive to be a positive influence on others and take risks and enjoy being young. It made me excited for unit and for all the opportunities that lie ahead. It quickly became my favourite read of all time.

Please, if you read just one book this year, make it this one. I highly doubt you'll regret it.









2 comments:

  1. I heard about this book but didn't know what it was about. It sounds really interesting. I think it would be nice to read something split up into essays and short stories . I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm treating myself !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can tell, I would highly recommend it! Haha, thanks for reading!

    Catriona Xx

    ReplyDelete