Monday 25 September 2017

Book Review: 'Wilde Like Me' by Louise Pentland

I feel as though my blog is getting a bit samey and boring because all I seem to write these days are reviews, so I apologise about that! The reason is the reading challenge that I set myself at the start of the year, and the fact that I have really enjoyed spending my free time reading for pleasure more. Maybe I'll do Blogmas again this year to make up for it!

Anyway, Louise Pentland (Also known online as SprinkeOfGlitter) is one of the many Youtubers whose channel I dip in and out of, as in I watch the odd video but I don't follow or watch everything. I knew she was releasing her first fiction book, and it sounded good. But I hadn't thought much of it until the day before publication day when I saw that it was reduced to something like £5 on Amazon, and I couldn't resist treating myself to a gorgeous new hardback!

Once again, I finished this about a month ago, but haven't got round to posting until now.

Brief Summary: Robin is a single mum with a young daughter, Lyla, who has recently started at private school. As Robin's career finally begins to take off after lots of hard work, and the loneliness of single life starts creeping in too, Robyn struggles to keep her life on track and particularly with the never-ending Mum Guilt!

I liked how down-to earth this book was, particularly the day-to-day happenings of family life.

It was a really nice story and you really felt like you knew the characters and wanted the best for them.

However, overall I thought the book was overly descriptive and lacking in terms of plot. There isn't much action or drama in the story, there are several sub-storylines that could become climactic but none really do. Instead, Pentland focuses on greatly detailed descriptions of things which personally I don't feel as though needed quite so many words dedicated to them! I began to get a bit sick of reading about Robin's man-woes and day-to-day household chores and actually found her a little self-centred as a character (which, to be fair, was probably deliberate as the story is meant to be about a woman allowing herself to sometimes put herself first in life, which I do appreciate).

So, to sum up, a really lovely read, perfect for taking on holiday or something, but not personally my favourite read this year!

Catriona x




Reading Challenge: 13/21

No comments:

Post a Comment