Thursday 28 April 2016

Technology Trends

Last week I finally joined the very popular club of iPhone users. My Sony phone had been playing up for around 6 months, so when my early upgrade date arrived I couldn't have been happier, and decided to splash out and switch from android to ios.

The main reason why it's taken me this long to join the club, as it were, is because up until now I haven't been able to justify paying loads of money monthly for a phone, when I could get one much cheaper which can still do what I need it to. Particularly as a student, money is a constant consideration and I have to prioritise what I spend it on, even more so when it's something I'm contracted into and which will be coming out of my bank account every month.

I've not got anything against android phones, in fact I think they can be even better at certain things and admire people who don't feel the need to swap to an iPhone just because it's cool, or the done thing. However, having had issues with my last 2 phones, I decided it was time to invest.

I reckon the issue is that there isn't any problem with android phones if you're only asking them to call, text, and maybe a few other bits and bobs. But we start to ask too much of them and this is when the iPhone seems to cope better.


I say seems because I can hardly be a fair judge, having only had mine a week... but I must say the difference in speed and efficiency at the moment is remarkable!

However, this post isn't really supposed to be a review of the iPhone haha (I went for an iPhone SE in rose-gold in case anyone is interested!) but more about this idea that we can become quite obsessive about technology.

I must admit I am guilty of this attitude. I get really excited at the prospect of a new phone or other technological device. I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with that in itself, in fact it's healthy as it shows how much I appreciate things which cost a lot of money. However, when other moods and emotions become apparent such as genuine anger and frustration at a slowly working phone or greed over how quickly my phone upgrade date will arrive I sometimes find myself hating how closely connected I feel to my devices.

I would say on the whole I'm quite good. I don't sit on my phone during meals and conversations and I still read books and do sporting activities away from my laptop or phone screen. But things such as Netflix, for example, can become addictive. And when you start falling in love with pictures of the latest gadgets online you know it's gone too far!

Technology is an absolutely amazing and wonderful thing, in moderation. I'm not suggesting it should only be about necessity, because it's become a hobby and leisure activity too. But I don't believe it's healthy to let it take over your whole life, because I genuinely believe it can start to limit your abilities to communicate and function without it! A year or so ago I watched a really well done, insightful video about what technology has started to do to us as a society (you can watch it here - I really recommend you do!). At the time its message hit me hard, but then I got caught up in life again, and it's not until recently that I've reconsidered the idea of taking breaks from the virtual world and making the most of the real one.

I didn't get my first piece of technology, except for the 5 channel TV and video cassette player and occasional battery-powered children's toy, until I was 11 years old. We didn't even have a computer in the house until then. I remember how excited I was to receive a second hand first edition Nintendo DS and a couple of games for Christmas in 2007. I wish I could go back and relive that excitement because I bet it would seem magical now! I genuinely spent my childhood playing hopscotch and skipping and riding bikes outside; spending hours inventing make-believe games with my sister; mastering board games and reading every Jacqueline Wilson book out there! Looking back, as much as I would have loved a computer or console at the time, I am really, truly grateful to have had that experience as a child. I honestly believe it has made me the person I am today, who enjoys family time and a good book as well as my iPhone and tablet!

I don't know where I'd be today without my technology- uni certainly would be a struggle!! There isn't a single day I spend totally free of both my phone and tablet. Even as I write this I am appealing to a virtual world. I know that I am as, if not more, guilty of falling in line with technology trends as anyone, but I do believe I make a real effort to create a balance: I love discussion and debate, still read paper books as well as my kindle, love to meet up with friends and family and even have a pen pal who I regularly write handwritten letters to. I'm not perfect, and, as sad as it may be, a conscious effort will be needed to maintain that balance and not let the technology take over, but it's doable.

We only have one life in this amazing world, let's really live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment