Friday 10 April 2015

Film Review: 'Love, Rosie'

When my friend and I went to see 'If I stay' at the cinema last year we saw a trailer for 'Love, Rosie' starring Lily Collins and Sam Claflin and based on the novel 'Where Rainbows End', which I haven't read but would like too. We turned to each other, and without speaking (we were in the cinema after all, but maybe we did whisper a little) we knew that it was our kind of film. But when it finally came out in the cinema, we never managed to arrange a time when we were both free to see it.

It was my sister's birthday 2 weeks ago and her friend bought her 'Love Rosie' on DVD. So, on Sunday night my sister and I stocked up on Easter egg chocolate and watched it.

Brief Summary: Rosie and Alex are best friends from a very young age. As they grow up, Rosie is a party-girl, popular with the boys, while Alex is smart (...and very handsome!) Alex receives a scholarship for Harvard University and wants Rosie to go with him, but she finds out she's pregnant and lies to her friend to save embarrassment. But sometimes who and what you need is closer than you think...  

In the opening 10-20 minutes of the film, my sister found me really annoying because I kept making comments about how unrealistic it was. I mean, it wasn't so much the plot, because yes parts of that were unrealistic but you kind of have to accept that in films! It was more than, for me, the acting and direction portrayed in the opening  of the film didn't convince me that it could be real. There were several sequences in the film where I kept thinking it was going to be one of those "and then she woke up and it was all a dream" moments. After a while she basically told me to shut up, and I did enjoy the rest of the film, but the  comments about the stupidity of these elements was eating me up inside!

That said, I really like both Collins and Claflin and found them a good pair, who were amusing too! After watching, I had this kind of appreciation for opportunities in life: for love, for travel, for education, for friends, for family, for choices. I know that sounds pretty deep but it just reminded me that sometimes things don't go as planned but it doesn't mean you don't get something good out of it too!

Overall, this film was a wee bit disappointing for me because it was very different to what I was expecting and I'd been waiting so long to see it that I think I made I made it more impressive in my head! But it's watchable and worth it if you're looking for something light-hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment