Monday 4 January 2016

Reflection and Recycling Resolutions

Firstly, I hope anyone reading had a really special Christmas and New Year. For a few reasons, this is the first time I've posted since I returned home from uni over 3 weeks ago, and to be honest the break from writing has been nice. But it's a new year, and I'm ready to enter this fresh start with new ideas and good intentions, however clichรฉ it may be.

Last year I made a series of resolutions, something I never normally do. And when it came to considering what I wanted to list this year, I realised that everything I want to change is everything I wanted to change last year.

I guess at first I thought I must have failed at achieving my resolutions, or perhaps I was simply far too ambitious. To be honest, both of those things are probably true, but what I know is that there's nothing wrong with setting the bar high, even if it means it takes me more than one year  to get where I want to be. It's not like I ignored my resolutions, I got somewhere with every one, they just aren't the type of things you complete and forget. They're long term projects which I hope will continue to improve my life. Well, we'll see. In no particular order ...

1) Improve my health (particularly weight and therefore body image) by healthy consideration of both diet and regular exercise. I've started a new routine of swimming and running. I can't say I love it or that it'll last forever, but you've got to start somewhere. As for the diet, I go through phases. I find it hard, but I'll get there, a few smoothies later...

2) Take my appearance a little more seriously- if I feel good about how I look, it could do my mental health a world of good. This means, in particular, taking care of my skin (Doctors appointment booked for Wednesday), keeping my hair nice (recently cut and started using new products and straightening more often) and just generally wearing things I like. AND POSTURE!

3) Write more. Just like last year, the diary has been started. Who knows if it'll last longer than a month this time? Plus my blog, and ideally some fiction this year, something I totally neglected in 2015.

4) Read more. The first half of 2015 saw me doing really well with this one, right up to the end of August in fact. Then I started uni and didn't read a single thing for pleasure! I still adore books and I'm going to try a new tactic with this one this year, but I won't say too much because it involves this blog and you gotta keep some things as a surprise!

5) Be a nicer daughter/sister. As most years, there's been ups and downs this year. But between working full time all summer and then being away at uni, I think this has perhaps improved by default. Things still aren't all rosy, but I think my increased independence is helping a little!

6) A 'romantic' experience of some kind. Yeah, that'll be right. Doesn't stop me dreaming haha.

7) Work hard on my studies. Perhaps unconditional offers decreased my motivation a little but I did manage to complete two dissertations, 4 x A Grades in my sixth year exams and lots of uni coursework as well as my first two uni exams during 2015. I still sometimes struggle with motivation but I'm holding my own, for now.

Don't ask much of myself, eh? Haha, I know this might have been a bit boring for some people who don't know me but it's done me good to write it down and I hope it helps someone to be brave and keep working on their resolutions. It's been a year and I've barely scraped the surface of my same 7. We'll all get there!

2 comments:

  1. They are awesome resolutions!!! good luck with them I hope you keep them up!!! I especially like the read and write more ones!!! :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete