Monday 24 April 2017

Film Review: Their Finest

I am currently at home for the weekend, and my friend and I had planned last week that we would try and catch the new Anna Kendrick film 'Table 19' while I was here. However, I don't think it can have done that well, because it is already out of the cinemas, so that plan fell through a bit!

Anyway, although I had made the decision to have a totally chilled, work-free weekend, my friend was working and busy, so it didn't seem likely I'd see her after all, until she texted me on Saturday night to say that her Dad had leant her the car, and did I want to take a trip to Cineworld.

So we decided to spontaneously catch a showing of 'Their Finest' and both agreed on the trip home that it was well worth it!


Brief Summary: In London in 1940, as WW2 rages on and the Blitz is in full swing, Catrin takes a job at a  government controlled film production company who need to produce a film which will act as propaganda, raising the people's morale while simultaneously convincing the Americans that they really need to get involved in the war effort. Alongside Buckley, the process of creating this film begins, and leads Catrin to question many things, her own abilities, the position of women, her relationship, her desires, and what life is truly worth.

I knew that this film sounded right up my street from the moment I read the official blurb. It had history, romance, and the trials and tribulations of a young writer! It also featured a cast jam-packed full of stars.

We showed up and were like little kids- hyper over the pick and mix and Tango ice blast slushies haha! It was just so nice for us both to take an evening together away from uni stress.

I hadn't been to the cinema on a Saturday night in a while and couldn't believe how busy it was! I must admit, the majority of others in the cinema were middle aged couples.. at 20, we were probably the youngest there. But I think this film is Pretty suitable for all adults to be honest!

Sam Claflin, who played Buckley, was excellent. I've now seen him in a few things and he seems to be in a lot coming out this year .. he's like a new Eddie Redmayne .. just really good and at the age where he suits so many leading parts! When he delivers his lines they just don't sound like lines, they sound like words that are naturally coming out of his mouth, and that's pretty special.

This was a little less so, the case, in my opinion, with Gemma Arterton, who was nevertheless very good as Catrin too, and the pair certainly had chemistry. I didn't recognise Arterton from anything previously, but a quick IMDb search tells me she has been in quite a bit, just not much that I've seen, apart from St Trinian's and its sequel- her character in that, Kelly, couldn't be more different!

The comedy element of the film was mostly provided by Bill Nighy's character, and he really did a very good job! He's just naturally amusing, but seems like such a nice guy too!

One of the main themes I took from this film was the treatment of women back pre-WW2 and the suffragette movement. It was just disgusting, but not overplayed in this film, just subtly and colloquially referenced and disputed.

The story is mostly quite feel-good, and lulls you into quite a false sense of security, where you begin to predict things that happen and wonder if its all that good a film after all, and then BAM a twist, and then BAM another twist!

Without spoiling, I'm not totally convinced I liked the ending, but I can totally understand why it was done the way it was. As my friend and I discussed after, it was important that we knew little about the film beforehand to fully appreciate it, so you'll just have to go and watch it to see what I mean by that ...


No comments:

Post a Comment