Saturday 10 May 2014

Like something out of a story...


I was working at the café at the weekend and I was in for set-up. I was outside doing the lovely job of cleaning the bird poo of the outdoor tables (how classy!) and getting the balcony ready for opening when I suddenly had a kind of a moment of realisation.

I felt, right there on a sunny Saturday morning by the sea, like the kind of character I would read about. A girl from a tourist coastal town working in a coffee house, looking out onto the ocean...

Ever since we moved here (6 years ago.. wow!), and even before that to be honest, my Mum has had an adoration for the sea, and walks along the beach almost every day no matter the weather. She appreciates how lucky we are to live where we live and I always thought that I did too, but now I realise that I took it for granted.

Every weekend, loads of tourists come to eat and drink at my work, and its weird thinking that the town where I go to school, go buy milk or whatever, go to the library and the swimming pool, learn to drive etc. etc., is visited so often by tourists, as well as treated as a day trip place for beach lovers.

I remember going to the beach at Southport or Blackpool being a rare treat when I was younger, and I remember that I felt like I was just visiting on holiday for a few months after I moved here. But now, over 6 years on, its just a place where I live and that's a bit sad.

After my realisation I look at my surroundings differently, and feel thankful that I live in a lovely little seaside town, like something out of a story...

Stonehaven Beach ~ Picture from Visit Scotland ~ I do not own the rights to this image

No comments:

Post a Comment