Tuesday 17 March 2015

Book Review: 'Q: A Love Story' by Evan Mandery

So one of the things I enjoy doing, when I have a few free minutes, is to watch Youtube. With limited time, I don't follow many channels on a regular basis, but probably the only person who I have watched every single one of their videos is Carrie Hope Fletcher. An actress, singer, writer and avid reader, I really trust her book recommendations.

I have a list of books she's mentioned in videos and so when I fancy reading something I know nothing about, I take a title from the list and order it on my library app.

It has taken me stupidly long to get through this relatively average sized novel..  mostly because I've had NO TIME and not enough motivation to read.

It doesn't mean the book was bad, because it wasn't. But it wasn't the cute easy-read love story I was expecting and I've also had a tough few weeks motivation-wise in general.

But it has finally been completed and enjoyed.

I chose this book because the blurb intrigued me. The lead female's name is Q, and the reviewers comments suggest it would appeal to anyone who enjoyed 'The Time Traveller's Wife', which I really did.

Despite it's title, this novel hardly contained Q at all, and wouldn't really be what I would class as 'A love story'. The book was more about self-discovery and the interesting concept of time and day-to-day decisions.

I liked the use of real-life science and philosophy because it linked nicely to my RMPS course and therefore I could appreciate it. However, it did make it a little more of a confusing read than I'd initially been expecting.

The principle character (whose name I must know, or have known, but honestly cannot remember in this moment because it was written in first person and consequently of very little importance) is a little frustrating for me at times, as he is so easily led by his 'future selves' and cannot make his own decisions, even when he notices the pattern of impossible solution which was excruciatingly obvious to me as a reader from a very early stage. I therefore became a little bored with the penultimate section of the book because it was overly repetitive and therefore kind of predictable

But, as a whole, I really enjoyed the book. The characterisation, particularly of the hero, was .well created and I felt I could relate to the idea of wanting the best possible outcome but hating the process of altering your lifestyle in order to make that happen.

So, although a few of the ideas were a bit far fetched and long-winded, I really enjoyed this book. It was the complete opposite of what I expected, so may be for any of you too, but worth a read anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment