Monday 4 May 2015

Film Review: 'Cinderella'

So I just wanted to start this post by thanking everyone for the amazing support  I received on my last post, 'I am a Feminist... (I think!)' It was amazing to watch the view count slowly creep up! I know it
was a bit more of a serious tone than my usual but your response has given me the confidence to start thinking up more posts where I give my opinions on issues...

However, for just now I thought I'd break off from exam revision to review a film I went to see with a friend on Friday night. I had wanted to go and see it for ages, but so far had been unable to justify the time out of revision. However, I needed to go into town anyway to shop so my friend and I scheduled a pizza hut and cinema catch-up!

I don't care that I'm 18 years old, I have a special place in my heart for Cinderella and this new rendition did not disappoint.

One of my main reasons for wanting to go was because, from the trailer, I knew that Lily James was playing Cinderella, and I loved her from seeing her in Downton Abbey.  She was a perfect Ella, beautiful and gentle and mesmerising. And I'm not going to lie, Richard Madden as the Prince may have been another motive! Not having seen Game of Thrones, I was unaware of Madden and had not come across him before, but he was perfect in the role and his attractiveness helped a lot! Similarly, Cate Blanchett was the ideal Stepmother... make no mistake, she remained as stunning as always, but her beauty was warped by her wonderfully cruel character. You feel genuinely heart-broken for poor Ella, and that indicates excellent acting both on Blanchett's part, and on James' part, for making you empathise with her. The Step-sisters too were adequately pretty, ditsy and plain air-heads!

The storyline was heart-warming and stuck very true to the original tail. But seeing it in 'real life' as opposed to motion picture was beautiful. Within the first 5-10 minutes I was literally crying (I won't give it away but the sadness at the beginning struck a very emotional chord with both myself and my friend!) and had the kind lady next to me give me a pat and say "U ok Pet?" haha. The plot made you value what you have and literally made me glow inside!

It wasn't a musical version, but there was one song which was sung on a couple of occasions, by Ella's mother and by Ella. I don't know if it was Lily James herself who sang or someone else, but the voices were gorgeous- you could hear a pin drop! The song went: "Lavender blue, dilly dilly, lavender green...." and this in itself contributed to my love for the film as this was a song my mum sang to me when I was little.

The costumes (one beautiful ball gown in particuly!) were absolutely stunning- the costume department did an incredible job!

I would say that, overall, 'Cinderella' is possibly the best Disney Princess re-make I've seen so far (I am now very excited to see Emma Watson star in 'Beauty and the Beast'). No matter your age, go and see it and remember, all you need is "to have courage, to be kind, and a little bit of magic..." <3

No comments:

Post a Comment