Tuesday 12 May 2015

Writers' Block

So, during the time I've been regularly blogging (which tomorrow will be exactly 1 and 1/3 years!) I have mentioned on a couple of occasions that one of my reasons for blogging less often, aside from being generally busy, has been lack of motivation or inspiration.

Thankfully, I've fallen in love with my blog again each time this has happened, but, throughout this school year, I've experienced a similar issue in terms of my creative writing folio.

I have always enjoyed writing fiction, but it is one thing to talk about enjoying it and another thing to keep it up. Sometimes, my style of writing comes across as childish or simplistic because it is, but other times it is because that is simply my style, and a lot more thought and craft has gone into it when you dig a little deeper.

As I'm getting the final pieces together for my Advanced Higher English folio, to be submitted at the end of this week, I worry that my writing this year has not exceeded or even met the standard of the writing I produced last year and the year before. I had an idea for a story which I feel I could have developed further but have struggled to do so, both due to lack of motivation to devote the time to doing it, and lack of inspiration on how to develop my writing.

I think it's what people call 'Writers' Block', but in its broadest sense. There is a difference between days when I just can't get the ideas to flow onto the paper and screen, and longer periods of time, such as several months, when I'm just not achieving my full capability.

Hopefully, the work I submit will adequately reflect my ability, although I know it will  not be my best work. As the prospect of finishing exams and school being completely over draws nearer, my love for writing returns and I hope to get cracking and write far more over this summer.

Does anyone else experience or have thoughts on writers' block? Is it all in our heads? Let me know in the comments!

Catriona xx

No comments:

Post a Comment