Monday 18 May 2015

Film Review: 'Pitch Perfect 2'

When, just over a week ago, a friend of mine suggested that we book tickets to go and see this film on the day it was released (also the same day as our Advanced Higher English exam) as a post-exam treat, I jumped at the offer! I had loved the first one, although I didn't actually see it in the cinema, but on DVD later.

Pitch Perfect 2 (2015) PosterPitch Perfect 2 did not disappoint, and I was particularly pleased to see that almost all of the original cast members returned for the sequel, including Anna Kendrick (Becca) and Skylar Astin (Becca's boyfriend Jesse) as well as many of the 'Bellas' including Brittany Snow (Chloe, and, as I only just realised, Snow plays Amber in 'Hairspray'!) and, most notably, Rebel Wilson (Fat Amy).

The storyline was similar to the first film, in the sense that it followed the high-school A capella group as they had an early disastrous performance, lost their true 'sound' and had to find themselves in order to recreate the group, to then go on be deservedly victorious in a major competition. You may think that to use the same plot skeleton would be boring, but this WAS NOT the case. The trick actually allowed the film to stay true to what was loved about the first film, but had a few spin-off storylines to keep the audience interested. For example, Becca's new internship which keeps her kind of busy, a fierce German group whose all about the competition, the prospect of graduating and having to find what they want to do with their lives after Barton University and, of particular interest, the admission of a new Bella, Emily, who is also referred to as 'Legacy' because her Mother was a Barton Bella too.

The character of freshman  Emily is played by the stunning actress Hailee Steinfeld, who I recognised but don't believe I have seen her anything before. It is incredible to see that she already has a fantastic career at just 18 years old and her character, an overly enthusiastic but very talented singer-songwriter kept the film interesting... and provided a little bit of Romance for Benji (Ben Platt) who you have to love!

I would comment that there were a couple of moments when I felt that the humour of the film verged on racism, but I think I may have been reading a little too far into it, because it certainly wasn't pitched (no pun intended) in a vicious way or anything. In fact, Ben Platt can be quoted as describing, in interview, the humour as "...at nobody's expense".

All in all, I definitely think that Pitch Perfect 2 is as much if not more so of a feel-good film as the first one, with a definite air of friendship, inclusion of every type of person and a sense of being on the brink of life and opportunities.

As I said the two friends I was seeing it with when it finished, I feel as though they ended it in a way whereby they could theoretically make a third one at some point, but with a different cast (probably with Emily at the centre of it as opposed to Becca) but they wouldn't need to in order to conclude it. Personally, although this is probably just e being my cynical self, I'd be a bit wary of making a third film. While number 2 wasn't a disappointment, its wasn't THE Pitch Perfect, and I don't think even the best team could capture the essence of the film for a third time.

I say, GO AND SEE IT! It's funny, loving and the perfect break from thinking about study and exams!!

No comments:

Post a Comment