Monday 20 July 2015

Book Review: 'Wishing for Someday Soon' by Tiffany King

I actually finished this book over 3 weeks ago, so I doubt I'll have an awful lot to say about it! But nevertheless, I wanted to make a few comments, if only because I can't believe I haven't blogged for a month!!! I do apologise, I've been really busy with work and music, and when I wasn't I was either very tired or lacking motivation.

I was given 'Wishing for Someday Soon' as a birthday present from a friend whose book recommendations I almost always enjoy. It took me a wee while to get round to reading it, but not long to read once I started.

It was quite a good book which follows the story of Katelyn and her younger brother Kevin, who's mum moves them about from one town to the next in accordance with the ending of her numerous disastrous relationships, who fuels her own addictions over buying necessities such as food and clothes for her children, and who abuses her children horrifically, verbally, emotionally and physically.

Due to this train of themes, it is a pretty difficult book to read emotionally, because it reminded me that there are kids whose lives are like that, who have nothing and are ,made to feel worthless and at fault for their own hardships.

The story unravels as a local boy begins to take an interest in Katelyn, who finds it increasingly difficult to carry out her usual routine of hiding her circumstances, especially as her new town is very small.

The book is both realistic and non-realistic. Realistic in the sense that it draws attention to very real issues, but non-realistic in its love story capacity. As sweet as it sounds, the whirlwind romance was a little unbelievable!

Overall, I enjoyed this novel but feel that it was a bit young for me, not necessarily the theme but in the writing style. I'd pitch it at a 13-16 age groups :)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book ! I hadn't heard of it but I think i might buy it now :) I needed some new reading material <3 Thank you !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting book ! I hadn't heard of it but I think i might buy it now :) I needed some new reading material <3 Thank you !

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you're welcome, glad to have helped!

      Happy reading,

      Catriona xxx

      Delete