Sunday 21 June 2015

Book Review: 'Eleanor & Park' by Rainbow Rowell

I finished this novel in a sort of marathon read after my music exam on Monday when I came out and all I wanted to do was snuggle down with a cup of tea and a good book. I had treated myself to a copy from Waterstones a few months ago but hadn't got round to reading it.

'Eleanor &  Park' is one of those super popular books that every girl who reads has read at some point in the last year or so, or probably will read over the next few months. It doesn't claim not to be a love story, because that's exactly what it is. But, as a hopeless romantic, I just loved it.

Honestly, I like most books I read. I very rarely finish a book which I didn't enjoy even a little bit. And I'm always willing to try reading anything. After, 'To Kill a Mocking Bird', I wanted to read something quite light and girly. I wouldn't say that 'Eleanor & Park' was light on the sense that it dealt with some pretty deep and moving issues, however it was what I would consider a lighter read in terms of difficulty.

Image result for eleanor and parkBrief Summary: Eleanor has recently moved back in wit her mum, horrid stepdad and younger siblings. Her step dad domestically abuses her mum and has the whole family controlled and living in fear in a tiny house and without enough money to properly live. Park is from a fairly well-off family. Due to being smart, a comic-book geek and half Korean he is a bit of an outsider at school, but sill has friends and a pretty good life. His dad thinks he needs to man-up so they don't get on that well. When Eleanor and Park find themselves sat together on the school bus, a relationship of passion, necessity and affection begins.

The first 2/3 of the book are quite realistic and, for that reason, hard hitting. The conditions of Eleanor's ;life and the pressures of Park's are something I will never understand fully, but feel as though Rainbow Rowell captured them exceptionally well. The escalating romance is believable because its not nothing and then all at once, but more of a gradual bit-by-bit development. Instantly, as a reader, you want them to get together, they both deserve each other so much.

Image result for eleanor and parkThe last third is a little unrealistic. Without giving away too much, Park begins to make sacrifices and decisions for Eleanor which in real life just wouldn't happen- because his parents would step in and sort it out instead of allowing it!! However, if you can get over that, which I did, it is still very well written. Rowell makes you want a happy ending so badly, but doesn't exactly give it you. But the ending leaves you hopeful, that's all I'll say!

The way in which Rowell captured both characters' vulnerability (as well as the personalities of other secondary characters!) is incredible and truly makes 'Eleanor & Park' a great and unique read which I didn't want to end! I will definitely read more of he work in the future! If you haven't read it, go and do so. I promise it won't disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment