Friday 20 January 2017

21 by 21

I turned 20 on Sunday. 20, wow.

Maybe a wow seems a bit of an exaggerated reaction to a birthday that isn't particularly special, but to me 20 was the first birthday that really seemed like a wow. I felt weird about not being a teen anymore! Thankfully, my preceding bummed out feeling was cured by a lovely birthday weekend spent at home with friends and family. And I know that I'm still young, and to feel old is a bit silly. But still, wow. Enough of my premature aging worries- right now I've got to enjoy being 20!! Plus, this post really wasn't supposed to be about my birthday haha....

If you've followed this blog for any time at all, you'll know that I'm a fan of reading. I always want to read more, and to be motivated to do so. So this year I decided to, once again, find a reading challenge for myself. Preferably one that is manageable and isn't too restricting.

I got the idea for it from a friend who turned 20 mid 2016 and decided to follow some lists she found online: 21 things to do before you're 21, and 21 books to read before you're 21. I thought the book thing would make for an interesting challenge.

So I started googling lists, and found plenty. I had read some of the books on each, so I originally planned to invent my own lists, using books suggested on each list. But then I realised that I already have SO many books that I want to read, and that to follow this challenge would mean putting off reading those for a whole year!

So, instead, my challenge is simply to complete 21 books between my 20th and 21st birthdays. Only books that I read for pleasure will count (unfortunately, since I have 9 plays to read for one module this semester!) and I will just review them as normal here on my blog, but I'll make a wee note in each review of how far through my challenge I am.

If you have suggestions of books I should read, please feel free to leave them in the comments! I'm sure I'll manage to find 21, but I always love to get recommendations. This will be a significant challenge for me because, although I think it sounds very doable, I only read 8 books for pleasure last year! Anyway, here we go, I suppose only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment