Sunday 23 February 2014

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out....



Hi there! I have been wanting to write a blog post all week but I've had some trouble getting started! So I apologize if  this becomes a ramble but  just feel like getting some words down while I'm in a good mood!

I've finally received all my exam results and I am stunned to say that I was successful in achieving 5 As! I just wish that they had been the real thing now haha!

People often say to me: "You're really smart!!" or "You'll obviously get good grades." or something else to that effect. I'm not telling you this to be big-headed in any way at all, and of course I try my best to take these remarks as compliments, smile and thank the person. But there's something about such comments which annoy me a bit.

Just because someone's strengths lie in academic areas of life doesn't mean that that person has no need to try, is guaranteed good grades, or finds preparation to be easy. To label someone as simply "smart" has become  a suggestion that the person need hardly work for the success they consistently achieve.

Now I will happily admit to my weaknesses. For example, I'm not that great at sport, I can be quite bossy, I talk too much and I have a habit of being impatient. I will also happily say that I am aware that I am incredibly lucky to find MOST (not ALL) areas of academic life to be manageable and that I'm quite good at music.

And so, it is neither through arrogance nor false-modesty that I say this: I work bloody hard to achieve what I do.

I'm not the 'perfect student'. I spend most of my "study" time procrastinating,  I often get bored in class and give up trying, I frequently leave homework to the last minute. But, despite all that, I work really hard because working hard is something I think I actually kind of enjoy. That sounds bizarre, I know, but I like feeling prepared, I like feeling knowledgeable and I like doing well.

When I don't do well, it disappoints me and I strive to improve. I'm lucky I suppose, to have that embedded in my character; a sort of inbuilt motivation and perfectionist personality.

But in the end, I've still had to put the work in and I don't believe that people claiming that they're just not "smart" enough is  excuse for not making an attempt. Naturally, some people will find academia easier than others. Naturally, I'm not suggesting that every single person is capable of the same grades. But the same goes for every aspect of life. I will never find success in football or rugby or hockey, in singing or gymnastics or art. But I'd like to think that, if the situation arose, I'd give any one of those things a good go.

And so, if anyone is actually reading this, I propose a challenge. Set yourself goal, any goal, and go for it. Or, simply decide to challenge yourself whenever possible. I know that those are two things I would like to do more of. As ever, I'd love to hear your thoughts on hard work and success, and please share your goals and challenges too :)

Now I better go and write my French essay which I've been putting off doing all day!

Catriona xx

No comments:

Post a Comment