Wednesday 4 June 2014

Book Review: 'Looking For Alaska' by John Green

Been about 3 weeks since I read this, but so far been too busy and too lazy to get anything down 'on paper' about it.. oops! So this could be kinda short but thought it was such a good book that it deserved a wee space on my blog...

After my successful completion of 'The Fault in Our Stars', I was quite keen to read another John Green book and had bought 'Looking for Alaska' for my kindle. Sort of the wrong order as I found after I read it that 'Looking for Alaska' was actually John Green's first novel, so before 'The Fault in Our Stars'.

For some stupid reason, I still had the character of Hazel from TFIOS in my head when I first started the book, and so I spent the first few pages thinking that the narrating character was a girl, rather than a boy. Then I had to start all over again haha.

But once I got over that, it was a really good read.

I was warned that the character of Alaska becomes annoying, but actually I just found her human and fun. I was also warned that, just like for TFIOS, I would cry. I didn't, but I must say that when events turn (and I won't say what events because I really don't want to be accused of spoilers!), well I was deeply saddened.

I think the idea that friends will never be fully able to accept that their friend isn't around anymore, whatever the reason, is something we can all relate to in some respect. Moving on is one thing, but we remember them. I also think that the character of Miles exhibits common feelings of confusion and a desire to be accepted, as well as a phrase which has become increasingly popular recently, he is stuck in the 'Friend Zone'.

There is a very strong sense of friendship among the characters in this group and Green successfully captures the feeling of being in a place in your life where school seems most important, but friends seem super important, being loved and being hated are necessary in almost equal measures and trying things for the first time is exciting. Alaska, although far more wild and confident, crazy and beautiful than myself, seems to me to portray the emotional struggle many young girls go through. It may just me my interpretation but I would say she is probably struggling with a bit of undiagnosed bi-polar because her feelings and moods are outwith her control and, while this leads to consequences much darker and more exaggerated than the average schoolgirl, it holds a bit of real life in there too.

So, if you'd ;like a hard hitting, well written and at times highly amusing read that can be described by me only as wonderfully bizarre, then please give 'Looking for Alaska' a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment