Sunday 2 November 2014

"Thank my Lucky Stars".... For what?

I've noticed that, in my blog, I often refer to hard work. I think the reason for this is because I like to think that, in my writing, I express the very best side of me for the most part, more for my own benefit that in an attempt to hide my faults. When people are just getting to know me, I'd rather they knew what I am good at that what I'm not, and by being positive and encouraging, I provide inspiration to my own mind too!

But, I don't want this post to become another hard-work ramble, so I will try very hard to make sure it's not.

I do a morning paper round, and that hour that I'm walking on my own is my main thinking time. I think things over that are worrying me and try and reason them out in my head, I make up little stories (which I always subsequently forget to record and later forget!) and fantasies and I think about school things and mentally revise or practice something in my head. But I also mull over things that interest me, or make me curious or confused. And, one morning last week, I was thinking about the concept of luck- what it is and where it comes from?

When things happen to me, or don't, and I take a moment to appreciate how lucky I am, sometimes I think I was deserving of luck and sometimes I think I was just, well, lucky! And I wonder if there's


some being who decided that my "wish" will be granted, or if the power always lies with me and my actions.

There are some things which we would all argue lie purely with luck. For example, there is nothing in the world you can do, no act of goodness big enough, which will give you a greater chance of winning the lottery than anyone else with the same number of tickets, is there? But sometimes things that are lucky happen just as you need them too, making them particularly lucky, and I reckon this is coincidence but I'm not sure.

When people say "Thank my lucky Stars" what do they mean? Is life a game of luck in which we all have little pockets of luck and its just luck who's luck is lucky for them? Wow my head is spinning now...

Or do we "make our own luck", another common phrase? Is that possible?  Or is that not luck at all, is that just a way of saying that positive actions can achieve positive results?

I'll be honest, I do feel lucky in life. I have people who love me, and more luxuries than I deserve. But when I make mistakes, there are consequences and I pay for that, and I don't feel so lucky anymore. Does that mean that my luck lasts as long as I deserve it? Or that I'm still lucky when I don't feel lucky but the fact that I don't deserve the luck is what makes me feel less lucky?

I'm going to quit the questions now because if you've got this far and are still following then I applaud you. My posts tend to be quite advice based, but this shows you that, in actual fact, I have very little clue and an annoying habit of questioning things which I would, before now, have just accepted (and will probably just go back to doing so!).

So I wish you all good luck in what ever you're doing today and continue to sit here, waiting for enlightenment on whether my wish for your luck, and mine, will ever make a difference.

~ I'd love to here everyone's thoughts on luck in the comments below~

Catriona xx

No comments:

Post a Comment