Wednesday 17 June 2015

Book Review: 'To Kill a Mocking Bird' by Harper Lee

First of all, I just want to apologise for my lengthy absence from blog-world! First it was the stress of getting my exams finished, then starting a new job, and then practicing for my music exam and orchestra tour! So yeah, I've pretty much been non-stop busy! But, as I'm away on tour tomorrow, I'm hoping to get a few posts scheduled this morning to go up over the next few days, to catch you up on everything!

So I've always known that this novel is a classic, but since I've never studied it in school I've never been made to read to read it. In February, our school theatre club ran a trip to see a theatre adaptation of 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'. I had wanted to read the book in advance of attending, but was reading something else and didn't have the time. The play was fantastic.

My younger sister did study it at school, so when she was done with it she lent me her copy. It took me a wee while to get into, because the beginning was kind of setting the scene with background stuff. I think it helped that I'd seen the play and knew that there was a far more exciting plot to come.

Harper Lee's style of writing is one I really admire, but can also follow. I immediately grew attached to the character's and particularly the narrating character, Scout.

Lee addresses various political and social issues in 'To Kill a Mocking Bird', which I believe is the reason for its immense popularity for the last 50 years since it's publication. There are the obvious ones of racism and the law, of social austerity and poverty and tight-knit gossipy communities. But there are also issues surrounding family and parenting and education and gender stereotyping and sexism and social exclusion and mental health and so much more, if you're willing to dig deep enough. Yet in no way does it feel like Lee is trying to put across a lecture, the story itself is captivating and engaging.

What I like about Lee's style is that she cleverly gets across her messages subtly, without being too forceful or overly descriptive. This is my preferred method of writing too- seemingly simple writing which you have to work to get the true message behind, or which you can choose to enjoy on a number of different levels. NOT that I can or probably will ever be able to write like Harper Lee!

Overall a great story about justice and lack of, growing up and forming your own views and personality. 100% a classic worth reading. Apparently, Harper Lee has her second novel coming out in July (50 years later!!) so maybe I will read and review that too! Also, if you get the opportunity to see the stage version, take it. It's wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment