Saturday 25 January 2014

Keep Calm and Study On....


So, I am now officially on Study leave for my prelims (mocks) :(

I have been meaning to post for the last fortnight but, between one thing or another, I have been very busy!

I turned 17 last week which was pretty cool. I got a new violin case and lots of other great presents!

The main purpose of today's post is about exams and study, since I've had to break away from that in order to write this!

We all, at some point in our lives, experience that sudden panicky feeling, when we're sitting in the exam hall and we can't seem to remember a thing we learnt all year, or we look up at the clock and realize that, while our every day classes have a tendency to drag on, the time designated for each exam paper zooms by!

This year I've taken English, Maths, History, Modern Studies and French, 4 out of 5 of which are essay based! So lots of writing for me!

I know this year, being the first year that the Scottish Curriculum For Excellence Exams are being put into practice, is particularly stressful for first-time exam candidates and teachers alike. For me, my Highers are the make-or-break of University. Where I can go, what I can study, what I can study next year...

I think the pressures are different, depending on who you are. Deep down (or not so deep down!), we all want to do well, but motivation, distractions (including blogging!) and ability can make success seem far away. Then there's expectation. A lot of focus is put on predicted grades, on  matching or bettering you're previous years results. While it is arguable that this target setting causes you to work harder, It can also be seen as unnecessary enforcing of exam pressures.

Then - and this is something I do sympathise with- is the fact that  many of our exams involve the memorisation of thousands of facts, statistics, formulas, quotations, passages. Personally, my memory isn't too bad. But are our exams becoming to much like memory games? Are they coming away from the principle of ensuring that we, as students, can understand formulas, facts and texts and put them into practice or analyse them?? Perhaps the new exam system improves this situation, I don't know.

Anyway, the exams must be sat, no matter how much we ponder or complain over them. And STUDYING HARD is, unfortunately,  the key to those vital passes. Therefore, here's my attempt at a short and sweet study guide:

1) Motivation

I can only speak for myself, but finding the motivation to study for hours on end isn't always easy. So create a plan, even if its just in you're head, and do your best to stick to it. Take regular breaks (preferably not Facebook breaks because if you're anything like me you'll never get back to the book!) and try and find a quiet and comfortable place to work,  'cause noise is no good! Remember that preparation is really important.. we're all guilty of leaving homework to the last minute!

2) Note-take

I find mind maps really useful! Re-reading notes, and study guides if possible, and making notes that you yourself will understand and which just include only what you really need to know (somehow we seem to collect a whole heap of useless info over the year!). This step also really helps if you have a lot of statistics to learn.

3) Practice

"Practice makes Perfect".. well maybe not perfect but pretty damn close. Seriously, past papers are essential and one a day isn't that bad!

4) Ask

Asking teachers when you don't understand something isn't weak, and it really helps, trust me! Anyone reading this who knows me knows I have an annoying tendency to ask A LOT of questions... But sometimes its ok to forget about what others think for the sake of your own study. Most teachers are available in school if you're off on study leave. Also, studying with friends can really help, as you can help each other.. but only with friends you know you'll actually get stuff done with!

5)  Stay Calm


The worst thing to do is panic.. if you're finding study tough and overwhelming, refer back to the previous steps! Make sure you have all equipment and some water on the big day and get a good sleep! Keep Smiling! Its my friends birthday today and I bought her this...




So, I know its been a bit of a boring and lecture-y blog today, but writers tend to write about their experiences I guess.. Haha. As always, comments much appreciated and let me know if you have any ideas for the next blog.. I'll try and make it a bit more up-beat! For now, I'll leave you with a wee pic I found which is pretty deep and puts the matter of school exams into perspective a bit! :



Catriona xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment