Saturday 16 December 2017

Take off! || Blogmas Day 16

Yup, that's right. I'm so done with the whole exam thing, that I'm leaving the country!

Haha, ok, bad joke over. During second year, and particularly over the summer, I started to hang out more with one of my good friends, who I actually met when we both started studying French in first year. She's now studying German, and decided to spend her third year working in Germany. She suggested I come and visit and so, when my exam timetable cam out earlier in the semester and I realised that I had an extra week after exams before Christmas, and before my friend was heading home fro Christmas too, I decided to book a weekend in Germany.

Since Rachael (my friend) lives in a smaller German town, she suggested we both travel to one of the larger cities, and spend the weekend exploring, particularly since Germany is famous for their cities' Christmas Markets. We settled on Frankfurt!

Anyway, this was my first time flying alone. I've flown with friends before, and with my swim club when I was 14, but I've never flown completely alone. I wasn't at all nervous about the flight, but I was a bit jittery about making it through the whole security, boarding thing!

It was totally fine, mostly because I know Glasgow airport pretty well, we shall see how I cope on the return journey in the massive, rather confusing, Frankfurt International airport.

Talking of that particular big, confusing airport, we had an interesting time when we landed! My flight got into terminal 2, and the train station (where Rachael had come into, off her train) was in terminal 1. We literally spent an hour messaging each other, each wandering around separate terminals in the belief that one of us could walk through from one terminal to the other, only to find out that the terminals are actually completely separate buildings which require a shuttle bus ride!

Eventually I went outside and saw a free bus going to terminal 1, which I hopped on, and was reunited with my pal! We were both starving, so we started our weekend with some lunch at a lovely
bakery in the airport!

Rachael's booked us into a hostel, and we're going to head out soon and have a wee explore! Here's to a celebratory weekend!

Catriona x


No comments:

Post a Comment