Friday 2 December 2016

Christmas Shopping || Blogmas Day 2

Since I'm at home, the queen of procrastination, and know myself well enough to know that I would not cope with the stress of leaving Christmas shopping until the 19th December, I decided to go into town for a few hours yesterday and buy the gifts I needed to. When I did my Christmas shopping last year, I was so in the mood. I don't know why, but by the time I got into town yesterday, with absolutely no idea what I wanted to buy anyone, and the stress of piles of revision back home, I just wasn't in the shopping mood. That said, I managed to get almost everything (including a lot of unnecessary treats for me... oops!) and meet a friend for coffee too.

Christmas shopping is one of those things that shouldn't be as stressful as it is. But somehow we let the drama of the whole experience wind us up every year. What should I get for so and so? Is he/she going to get me a present? What did I get them last year, and what did they get me? Would they really like such and such? It's daft really, but I think under all the materialism, there really is an element of genuinely wanting to make someone happy... particularly if you're going to be spending the money anyway! My shopping list is fairly small really- just my family a small number of close friends to buy for- but I still get a buzz out of picking out things I know they'll love, or luxuries I know they wouldn't buy for themselves.



It might have only been December 1st, but the shops were well prepared (actually I think most shops have been knee-deep in the festivities for over a month now!). It was really nice walking through the city and seeing all the lights and trees, excited children and families, up beat tunes and winter
fragrances. Now, just in case any of them read this, I can't say what I bought people, but its fair to say I was pretty happy heading home on the packed train. Done for another year: the familiar sigh of relief crossed with a pang of longing for more Christmas cheer filled me. But mostly I was tired and weary (having been up since half 6 to go swimming) and ready to head home and snuggle up watching I'm A Celebrity.




But there was one fun part of the present-buying experience left..... wrapping! Despite being a terrible present wrapper (seriously, last year my sister did most of mine for me I'm so bad!) there's nothing I love more than picking a roll of shiny paper and decorating the parcels with gift tags, ribbons and bows. Since I still have a couple of small things to pick up to complete my gifts, I could only do a wee bit of wrapping, but I am loving the simple, but colourful paper I have chosen this year!





Now, unfortunately, it's a bit of a crash back to reality as I face the fact that I have exams starting at the beginning of next week, and I am at the worst stage of the inevitable, annual pre-exam cold. But hey, I may be tired and not feeling particularly festive right now, but the Christmas tunes are playing while I type, and I am determined not to lose the warm fuzzy feeling of seeing all the lights and shop fronts as I bought gifts for the people I love.

What's your views on Christmas shopping: heaven or hell? Have you, like me, spent more money on things to get yourself through these winter weeks (come on, we students work hard, and Christmas is only once a year, right?!) than anything else?  Have you found a perfect present? Would love to hear in the comments!







2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite things about christmas shopping is actually seeing all the lights and beautiful decorations around town!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I know, it just makes you feel so happy, right? Thanks for reading, and happy blogging! Catriona xx

    ReplyDelete