Thursday 22 December 2016

Film Review: 'Moana' || Blogmas Day 21

Today, one of my lovely blogging friends and I met up in town for a wee cinema and lunch date.

I decided to get a train that would get me into town exactly an hour before I needed to meet her, because I had a few last minute things to buy. I had made a list, and was determined to stick to it, and just get what I need. And, for once, it worked! I loved shopping that way: feeling productive and organised instead of wandering aimlessly around shopping centres for hours with no idea what to buy and getting no where!

Anyway, we met up in time to go to a 12:00 showing of 'Moana'. Now, being away at uni and having exams, I hadn't had a chance to see this film yet, but my friend, who has a Cineworld Unlimited card, had already seen it at least once, maybe twice, but was keen to show it to me all the same.

I'm definitely a Disney fan, I think they produce magical films and beautiful soundtracks. However, I have never been overly enthused by animation, so I suppose Disney is my exception. I'm not obsessed, but I appreciate it in small quantities!


'Moana' didn't disappoint. It was a classic Disney tale: young girl wishes to defy the path her family have planned for her, and undertakes a journey which will save her community and family and prove her worthy of heroic status.

The setting was very different from other films, in that it was on mythical islands in a very exotic location (as far as I am aware, there is no real-life association with the location, however, without wishing to sound racist as a result of naivety, I think a sort of South American influence is definitely present). To be honest, the ethnicity of the characters is rather unimportant, what fuels the storyline is their sense of community, strong links with their ancestry, and, in my opinion, a very powerful female lead.

Disney have had lots of strong female characters in recent years, but what especially impressed me about 'Moana' was that, in no way whatsoever did it rely on a romantic storyline. There wasn't even a hint of one. Instead, family was very important, as was friendship and, in particular, nature.

Returning to what might seem like a basic idea of elements was one of the things which I think really made 'Moana' special. The importance of loving and caring for our environmental only gets more relevant by the day, and the idea of simplicity and well-being being linked to that caring attitude and awareness may seem a bit hippy to some, but it was done just right in this film, quite subtly but with undertones of morality, which you find in every Disney film.

The second thing I think was really special about this film was the music. Disney never let s us down with heart-wrenching and catchy tunes. My friend was in tears by 5 minutes in! The music really does control your emotions, but I love letting it. Definitely a soundtrack I would return too.

Not exactly a Christmas film, but a lovely one to watch with family or friends over the holidays. And suitable for every age!




No comments:

Post a Comment