Thursday 22 December 2016

Christmas Songs || Blogmas Day 22

When I'm at uni, I try and find time to play my violin but, in reality, I don't play it a lot outwith rehearsals for orchestra or folk and trad group.

Therefore, I decided to take it home, where I also have a guitar (but no longer a piano, since my parents gave it away.. not happy!)

I haven't played that much, but I have been enjoying strumming a few chords on guitar. I don't play guitar really, I'm sort of self teaching, and it's a hell of a lot more difficult than I thought! My fingers hurt so much when I've been playing for even 10 minutes!!

Naturally, I've been playing lots of Christmas songs. And it got me thinking about my favourite ones. There are lots of fun ones that remind me of different years, or parties, or TV adverts! But my all time favourite is definitely Fairytale of New York. It's so beautiful and sad and tragic and hopeful all at once.

I think I fell in love with it because it's my Mum's favourite Christmas song, and our favourite line is: "'I could have been someone.' 'Well, so could anyone'" It just reminds me that, in  life, there are lots of ifs and buts but, at the end of the day, if you want to make something happen, you've just got to go for it. Because potential isn't enough on its own.

A few days ago I came across a cover of this song on Facebook by two Irish girls. At first, I wasn't sure. It's really different from the original. But, I love folky sounding voices and accent twangs when people single! You could hear a pin drop as they harmonise, and I kind of fell in love with the song all over again! One of those gems that all stays relevant in the music world, I suppose Christmas songs usually do. You can watch it below:



Anyhow, that's all for today. As I mentioned in my Carol Concert post, for me music and Christmas go hand in hand! What are your favourite Christmas songs?


No comments:

Post a Comment