Tuesday 20 December 2016

2016 Book #8 (+ 8.5) (Review): 'On the Other Side' (+ 'Winters' Snow') by Carrie Hope Fletcher || Blogmas Day 20

Ok, I know I'm taking the mick a bit with the ridiculously long title of this post, but I'm struggling enough with one post a day and so I don't really have the time or material for two! A bit of a cop out, I know, but there we go!

Anyhow, being a big fan of Carrie, I pre-ordered this book, which came out in July, while I was on holiday in Ireland. I therefore didn't get a chance to pick it up until I came home, and then it took me ages (and I mean ages!) to get started. When Carrie announced that she was releasing a novella ('Winters' Snow) as a follow up extra at the beginning of November, I decided it was about time I got it read, even if it meant that I read 2 pages a night before bed and it took me until Sunday just passed (which is totally not what happened...)

I could tell from the off-set that 'On the Other Side' wasn't quite like the sort of books I usually read. On one hand, the characters are very believable, as is the storyline. Then all of a sudden there's a shift into a magical world, where seemingly ordinary characters seem completely accepting of weird and wonderful goings on around them. Furthermore, the narrative is at times quite child-like, almost as though I could read it to a wee one as a bedtime story, particularly right at the start. Then, all of a sudden, there was a fairly descriptive love scene, or at least mention of it, and it became a YA novel again.

Those of you who have been reading my reviews for a while will know that I don't like to include spoilers. I know that 'real' reviewers are usually less cautious, but I personally quite like the teasing effect; giving readers a general taste for what I'm reviewing, enough that they fancy reading or watching, but not enough to give the storyline away. I will however do my usual brief summary: Evie Snow has passed away, but she cannot move into her own personal heaven without returning to the living world and letting go of the secrets she's been keeping about her past, from those closest too her. But some pretty big fibs might need to be admitted to along the way, in her quest to be reunited with her true love.

Despite what I said earlier, 'On the Other Side' (and 'Winters' Snow' for that matter) is a magical read. It's very uplifting; riddled with clichรฉs, yes, yet kind of beautiful, and certainly gets y
our emotions flowing. It's tragic, yet hopeful. A weird and wonderful love story.



I'll admit, I'm not, as a rule and even in this case, the biggest fan of the combination of real-life and fantasy, but this book did get me thinking, which I think Carrie intended, about how we really know  what's real? Why shouldn't walls be living and birds act as notebooks, and hearts be removable, only to blossom as magical trees that only flower after a storm. Whose to say what happens to us after death, really? Well, enough of the teasers.

Overall, I think this is a very sweet and worthwhile read. Not my cup of tea really, but so unique, I really haven't ever come across a story like it. Plus wee novella's are always great, short reads. Perfect for mending that horrible longing we bookworms get after finishing a good book.

I'm off the cinema with one of my lovely blogging friends tomorrow, so it may well be another review Blogmas. But we're very nearly there! Only 5 days of Blogmas to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment