Saturday 3 December 2016

A dying tradition? || Blogmas Day 3

The beginning of December means it's time to try and get ahead in the postal queues and get my Christmas cards written!

I must admit, I love writing cards. I love stationary and pens, and writing out addresses and affixing a stamp. As one of my favourite authors as a child, Jean Ure, once referred to it: "Snail Mail".

Don't get me wrong, I'm a lover of all things technology and social media too, but nothing beats putting pen to paper and pouring out the words cramming up your head! For the last 4+ years, I've been writing regularly to my pen pal. So far, we've never met, but we get on so well, and I really love the feeling of picking out notepaper and pen and blocking out the virtual world for an hour! Plus having a letter come for you, that you know someone has had to sit down and take proper time to write to you, is oddly satisfying! And just in case she happens top be reading, if it wasn't for Holly, I probably wouldn't have been inspired to re-start my blog for the third time, and I'd be one amazing friend fewer! So thank you <3

Ok, enough of the cheesiness haha! Actually, not sure why I'm promising that, because what's Blogmas without all the cheese!?

But, back the point. I don't care how amazingly animated the latest e-card is, or how much money you save by sending a text, when Christmas cards line the walls, the whole house radiates festive spirit and love.

And you know those people who you never really speak to throughout the year, but still feel obliged to send a Christmas card to? You question if they should even make the list this year, or of your just kidding yourself you're popular by hanging onto the last dregs of a long-finished relationship, but does it not still make you feel happy to know that, at a time when people are stressed, busy and yet
celebrating what and who they most love, that annual card still makes it to you, and yours to them?

And you can do a wee bit of charitable good in purchasing cards too .. I always try and buy ones which donate a percentage to charity. So, for example, the ones pictured evenly distribute 15% of profits evenly between 3 charities. I know it's only a little, but it's better than nothing!

So, I am very tired after a very long day haha, and this hasn't made the most sense ever, but basically, if you're considering passing on the Christmas card writing this year, because it's time consuming or you can't be bothered, think about the festive magic in those envelopes, and how much they'll be appreciated ... and then maybe just send to fewer people instead!




No comments:

Post a Comment