Thursday 8 December 2016

Carol Concert || Blogmas Day 8

While it has so far tended to be the Christmas pop songs blasting from my speaker as I study and procrastinate, I do love a good Christmas carol. As someone brought up attending church, traditional carolling has always been a part of Christmas tradition for me, from  Sunday school, to Watchnight Service.

Trying to stay positive and see your friends in the height of exam season can sometimes seem a bit of a chore, so 2 of my friends and I decided to meet up and go along to a Carol Service being held at a church in the town centre in aid of the charity Worldwide Cancer Research. There was lots of singing, festive readings, and plenty of mince pies and mulled wine to be had afterwards.

Two local school choirs performed beautiful renditions of traditional English Christmas songs ('The First Noel' and 'In the Bleak Mid Winter') and then made us all feel rather inferior by adding in all the harmonies to the group singing! Just kidding, it was really nice. Actually, I think it was made all the nicer because there weren't that many students there, and yet the place was packed, the pews filled with members of the local community.

Music has always been a very important and very present part of my life (see my very old post ''Thank you for the music'). My mum has always sung to me and around the house, from a very young age, and I have been brought up to appreciate listening to music., Therefore, I definitely associate it with happiness and contentment, and Christmas Carols are no different. Singing in a group makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and that feeling is only improved by the chance to donate a pound or two to charity at the same time! Plus it's always good to stay sane by leaving the house, your laptop and your studies and seeing real live people!

I haven't decided whether or not I'll make it to church at home this festive season, we shall see. But I am certainly glad to have got in some carolling, and may even go to another concert when the next revision break is required!

For now, though, I'm once again exhausted, so it's definitely time to read for a short while and get some sleep! That's if I can get this organ music out of my head!!


No comments:

Post a Comment