Tuesday 20 December 2016

Christmas Baking Fail || Blogmas Day 19

So, one of the things I was really keen to do as part of Blogmas was to bake some sort of festive treat (in all my newly acquired free time!) and write all about it. Like something a professional lifestyle blogger/vlogger would do haha!

I decided I'd really like to try and make cranberry and orange muffins because, last year, Costa sold delicious orange and cranberry muffins (which I practically lived on during exams!) , but they didn't do them this year which is gutting! I didn't expect them to be anywhere near as good as the Costa ones, but home-baking has a... erm... quality, right? Wrong, apparently.

It took a while, but I finally found a suitable recipe online that didn't seem too complicated! I'll link it at the end of this post. Anyway, I took a trip to the wee Coop store at the garage this morning to get all my ingredients, then came home, blasted some Christmas tunes (before my speaker ran out of charge... that should have been my first clue that the morning wouldn't be a successful one!) and got started with the recipe.

Clue number 2: I forgot to buy eggs! I was off out to the shops again, meaning I was now running out of time to get it all done before I had to leave for work.

Everything seemed to be going fine, and the mixture was in the oven. I had lots of washing up and cleaning to do... I'm the messiest baker in the world! But that was fine, I was on track.

Then my timer went off and the muffins looked golden on top, just as it said on the recipe. So I got them out, and let them cool while I finished cleaning up.

However, on further inspection, they seemed so uncooked! So I popped them back in .

I made an icing to drizzle on top, with the freshly squeezed orange juice from the oranges I grated for the mixture.

But the muffins didn't seem to be getting any less, well, liquidy. And I had to get them out in time to let them cool and ice them.

Well, I tried to. But the glaze-effect I was going for didn't exactly work either. They just looked kind of half-hearted haha!

I had to run for work, so I left my dribbly messes of muffins and texted my sister to try one and bin them if they weren't cooked... before my mum served them up to guests or something!

She didn't try them, but Mum did. It appears the bin was their home after all. What a waste of time, money, and perfectly good ingredients.

So much for the picture perfect plate of goodies! Ah well, perhaps I should steer clear of the baking. It's clearly not my calling.





No comments:

Post a Comment