Thursday 1 December 2016

Advent already?! || Blogmas Day 1




Welcome to Blogmas on Draft One!

How it is already December 1st is beyond me! 2016 seems to have just flown by!

Yesterday, I came home for a few days, because I currently have a revision week before my exams start, and thought it would be nice to catch up with family and friends, and study in the comfort of a quiet, clean house with my meals made for me haha! I'm here until Sunday, and so I thought it would be nice to use this first Blogmas post to list a few of the nice things that being home for the beginning of advent means for me!



1) Mince Pies. Last night I had my first mince pie of the year. My mum always makes sure the house is well stocked with them... and the run up to Christmas just wouldn't be the same without them.










2) Winter Sky. Ok, so everywhere has been experiencing beautiful sunsets lately, but there's something about the winter sky in my wee town in the North of Scotland which is just phenomenal.











3) Local Christmas lights. Every small town has their own version of mediocre, poorly funded lights that somehow we all kind of love anyway, right? My town is no exception. Every year something goes wrong... either they haphazardly sling the fairy lights onto the tree, the whole tree is swept away by the coastal wind, nothing happens when the chosen wee kid hits the button which should illuminate the town, or, in this year's case, the Santa looks well, not quite as he should do! But, you know what, it makes them all the more homely and special. Who needs professional lights anyway haha! My friends and I had a lovely wee walk down to the town last night, for hot chocolate and a glimpse!

4) Advent calendars. An advent classic. Ok, so I don't actually have one yet this year :( My Auntie always buys my sister and I a Fairtrade one, and this year was no different. But my Mum was a wee bit forgetful and
left that at my Gran's. Not complaining though, will enjoy catching up on all the chocolate
when we finally get our hands on it! Anyway, here's a picture of our calendars a couple of year's ago, when we still had a piano too!











5) Christmas socks. Got to love the funny festive socks! I mean,. to be honest, I'd be quite happy to wear these year-round! But I didn't take them to uni with me in September, so these contributed to my transition into the festivities!







6) Fairy Lights. Our family are definitely one of the latest to put up our Christmas tree. My Dad's birthday is mid-December, and so ever since I was a kid we have waited until after his birthday to put up our tree and decorations. However, in recent years, my mum has kicked off advent by draping a string of fairy lights around this cabinet, just to give us a wee bit of magic to keep us going!




7) Advent candle. Finally, our annual candle. Since I was a child, I remember my mum loving candles, of all varieties! Much more so than chocolate haha. I don't really know many other people who do an advent candle, but I love it! I mean, we always forget to light it, and it takes forever to burn through the numbers, but we get there eventually! And then Mum replaces it with a fresh new Christmas candle for the centre of the table on Christmas day.



Well there we have it. Blogmas day 1 = complete! Had so much hassle trying to format with all these pictures (honestly been driving me insane!), so the next 24 days should be .... well, lets hope for the best!

Hope you liked this wee intro- plenty more festive posts to come!

Any post ideas, comment below!























2 comments:

  1. YAY just read all your blogmas series so far and I love it! keep blogging :)

    I am going to use this idea and write something similar for my blogmas today :)

    HAPPY BLOGMAS

    Love GeekyGirlOnline xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thank you so much... I'm really enjoying your Blogmas too! Look forward to reading about your Advent traditions!

    Happy Blogmas! Love, Catriona xxx

    ReplyDelete