Friday 16 December 2016

Christmas Jumper Day || Blogmas Day 16

Happy Christmas Jumper Day! The annual occasion on which to wear the silliest festive attire in the name of charity! Since I had to work this evening, in uniform, I couldn't wear mine for very long. But it still made a brief appearance!

As fun as it is, seeing all the Christmas jumpers and pictures (and there really are some gorgeous Christmas jumpers out there this year!), there is a purpose to this day, and that it to raise money for Charity. I know that lots of charities do a Christmas Jumper day, but the big on this year was Save the Children, and so I made a wee donation. If you can, it's definitely worth while. They are a wonderful charity doing lots to help young people both here in the UK, and overseas, with much of their latest fundraising going to their current campaigns for child refugees and young victims of violence in Syria.

There's actually a Save the Children society here at the University of St. Andrews and, while I'm not a  member, I supported another campaign they were involved in last month, in association with the Samaritan's Purse, called 'Operation Christmas Child', which involves filling shoe boxes of gift and necessities for young people who will receive nothing else this Christmas.

The Shoe Box Appeal is something I always loved to help with as a child. I enjoyed going shopping with my Dad for the little gifts and then wrapping up the box, knowing that such simple things as a toothbrush or small toy would put a big smile on a child's face. So it was partly out of nostalgia that I got involved this year but also because I'm a big fan of charity, and I think particularly at this time of year it's really important to give what we can and remember those with little.

Not exactly selfless, because it makes me feel good and I enjoy it. And I may be a student who can only donate a very small amount to any given charity at any one time. But it's still better that nothing, right?

So, this Christmas, I hope you can dig deep. Even if it's just a pound or two, and no matter what charity or group you select. Spread a wee bit of Christmas joy! And keep sporting your Christmas jumpers. I mean, soon they'll be stored away for another year after all!


No comments:

Post a Comment